Sunday Afternoons...

So it is Sunday afternoon. I have the house to myself, after a long and yet exhausting weekend of fun filled adventures with Harry Potter. It's just me and the dog, some blues music and a margarita. The only thing that could make it better would be reading a really good book.



But I don't have a really good book to read, and I hope that writing a really good book will make up for it. Some days I wish I could speed through the writing. I wish I had the discipline and perhaps the talent to sit down and crank out 20 or thirty pages. Part of my problem I realized is that I am such a perfectionist. I spend so much time worrying about what I have already written that I can't get out of the first act of the book. Or at least not successfully. I've made three plot changes so far, and it seems like a bit much, but I really think they are necessary. With each new change I think the plot and the story gets better and better. Or at least I hope it does. I don't think that I need to do any major plot changes, at least not for the part that I have outlined. I am just going to go right now and see what happens. And I am going to try my hardest to focus on moving forward and not reworking the first three or four chapters to death.



Everyone says it. Don't get caught up in revisions if you don't have a complete draft. I would say it too if I was an experienced author. Because logically it makes perfect sense. Revisions are like plastic surgery, like remolding your house, but you can't do that until you have the basic foundations, the basic structure. You have to have something to work from. Me I have nothing to work from except for these worlds I have created in my head. And sometimes I think I am never going to manage to get them out on paper, at least not enough that I will like them. But like some drug addict, I can't resist the attempt to try. I can't walk past a laptop and not have the urge to sit down and tell my story. Or my character's story.



So I keep writing, In hopes that maybe one day I will finish this book, and it will actually sell.