Happy Happy Joy Joy

YEA!!!!! I cannot believe it. I am so happy right now. I have been working on my novel since about 2 o'clock. Working and actually making progress. Good progress. I mean I have been writing on it ever since marcon, but today, for the first time in a long time I feel really, really good about what I have written. It's funny. It's sparks interest. There's conflict, and emotion. I have tried so hard to make sure all of these stupid elements were present. And today, today it just happens. It just comes out, and everything clicks. I've finally found my character.



How can I explain this in terms that nonwriters will understand. It's like going on a company retreat. You know your co-workers, you might even be friends with them, know their wife or their kids. But until you stay up half the night just talking, until you have that intimate bonding experience, there is still some distance between you.



That is what it was like with this character. I knew her, I knew her history. I could picture her clearly in my mind. But every time I sat down to write, she just wouldn't open up. I had to guess what her moves were, what actions she would take, and most of the time they were wrong. And now, she just goes. I'm like the cameraman that follows all of those celebrities around on reality TV shows. She isn't acting for the camera anymore. She's just being herself.



Hmm, let me introduce you to Lainey, my protagonist. She's young and gorgeous, with super-human strength, and a pile of bloodstained laundry. She doesn't drive under 80. She eats her steaks rare, and she's the number one suspect in an assassination plot. And even though she will beat me up for saying this, she's a softy at heart.



So I am going to go back to writing now. Actually I think I will fix some dinner first and then write. One chapter down! Woohoo!