Join us at Marcon!

This weekend I will be returning to the biggest science fiction and fantasy convention in Central Ohio, Marcon and sitting on some very exciting panels. I have spent the week preparing for them and connecting with the other readers, writers and fans joining me up on stage.  I cannot wait to see how much controversy we can stir up and hear what the audience has to say about one of my favorite genres of all time....Young Adult fiction!!! Yay.  I am doing three different panels, one on Twilight: Breaking Dawn, one on Hunger Games and one general panel on Science Fiction and Fantasy YA.  This is also great timing as I just chose my area of focus for my MFA and guess what, it's YA. LOL. Yes, I love this stuff.

Let me go back for a moment and talk a little bit about Marcon, because this convention in particular makes me very happy.  It was one of the first, science fiction and fantasy conventions I ever attended. Prior to this, I would never have been caught dead at one of these things. At the time I didn't even consider myself a fan of SF. But like so many people I was quick to lump all types of speculative fiction into one large category.  What I learned was that this writing community offers incredible wisdom, knowledge, intelligent and sometimes irrational debate and lots of great, lifelong friendships. I also discovered something that I haven't found at any of the other conventions offering writing workshops, at an SF and fantasy convention you come as you are, and are rarely judged for that. So if you want to walk down the hall like a storm trooper or a half naked blue alien like avatar, you go right ahead and do it!

Anyway, this year's theme for the convention is Alternative Histories with Guest of Honor Harry Turtledove. You can learn more about the con by visiting the site www.marcon.org. If you're in the area consider getting a one day or weekend pass. And chances are, if I'm not in a panel I'm in the bar!