Top Ten Tuesday: Genre Books

I'm joining in on a new meme that sounded like fun. It's called Top Ten Tuesday and its run by the Broke and the Bookish Bloggers. Here's a quick explanation from their blog on how it works:
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
So, this week's theme was top ten books in any given genre.  Now I'm a genre junkie, so this was really difficult to do.  Because I am taking a class in YA fiction this term I have decided to use that as my springboard. So without further adieu, my top ten books (in no particular order!)

1. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. (Okay, so there is a little bit of an order here!) I've been a huge fan of these books since they came out and am so excited about the movies. It's great for guys and gals, has incredibly strong characters and great action. I wish I wrote these books.

2. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Yep. I have to include it. I plan on reading these books to my children, and my children's children....and my children's children's children....

3. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. There is no use in denying it. I once was a victim of the twilight craze. All you have to do is search through some of my old posts to see my once great love for the books.  The movies may have killed that passion off but I'll give the books their rightful credit (even if the pages are laced with crack).

4. The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. I don't understand why more people aren't talking about these books. At least the first four. Cassandra Clare is fantastic and just like the Hunger Games, these books have serious action and romance.

5. Matched by Allie Condie. The second book in the series may have been a dud, but this first book, Matched, was awesome. Dystopian fiction done well, in a world where so many others have tried and failed.

6. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. This is an oldie but goodie. It wasn't required reading in my high school though I wish it had been. Such a political novel full of power, control and manipulation. It's also a quick read. A plus in my book.

7. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. This is a great book for slightly younger YA readers, I'd say 7th grade-9th grade or so.  Don't let the cute sketches full you. The story is full of emotional drama that may cause you to shed a tear more than once. It also deals with the very delicate issue of race in a very delicate manner. Powerful stuff.

8. The Giver by Lois Lowry. Dystopian fiction when it wasn't so cool. I remember being intrigued by this book when I read it and years later I still find myself comparing newer Dystopian novels to this book.

9.  The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.  The only, and I mean only, Zombie book I have ever enjoyed.  It is beautifully written and she even manages to introduce a romance into the plot.

10.  Red Glove by Holly Black. This is actually the second book in the series. The first I found incredibly slow and if it were up to me I would have combined books one and two because they make a much stronger story together.  Anyway, the Mob and Magic? How can you go wrong?

So there it is? Do you have any faves that I should have put on this list?